2017 Paul Mitchell Neon Supergirl Pro Surf Nissan Rogue Sport Giveaway – “Nissan’s Super Sport Award”
To celebrate the 10th year anniversary of the event, we ran a contest called the Nissan Super Sports Award to give away a new fully-loaded 2017 Nissan Rogue Sport (worth $30K) plus a $5,000 donation to the winner’s charity of choice. The Winner was decided based on a combination of her contest results from the Paul Mitchell Neon Supergirl Pro event and the number of social media shares about the contest.
With 120 surfers in the event being ranked from 1 to 120 on both competition results and social shares, the chance of a tie was one-in-a-million. Well, that’s exactly what happened. Sage Erickson and Tatiana Weston-Webb tied for first place in the car giveaway.
The only fair way to decide the winner was to flip a coin, which Tati won. However, when Nissan saw how visibly shaken and sad Sage was, they stepped up and provided a second car on the spot!
“It was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen a brand do in my 23 years in the action sports industry,” said Rick Bratman. “During a time when a lot of people see major companies as “soulless”, it was amazing to see a big brand handle a difficult situation in a phenomenally compassionate, personal and generous manner.” Here are a few pictures from the awards ceremony, including from the moment Sage found out that she was also receiving a car from Nissan.
2017 Contest Rules:
The grand prize winner was the pro surfer in the 2017 event with highest cumulative point total at the end of the 2017 Paul Mitchell Neon Pro surf competition based on a combination of two factors:
- 50% of the point total is determined by the Social Media engagement generated around each individual surfer as well as their fans/followers
- 50% of the point total will be determined by the athlete’s competition results at the 2017 Supergirl Pro surf competition
Social Media engagement was decided by each surfer creating posts on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter about the giveaway that encourages their followers to share the post. Each surfer’s results were measured by the total number of times the post is shared by their followers, through as many layers of follower chains as possible. Posts had to use the hashtags #NissanSupergirls and #neonsupergirlpro and the surfer’s individual @handle in order to qualify
Points were scored for each surfer based on the total number of shares associated with their initial post as follows:
- Highest total = 150 points
- 2nd highest total = 125 points
- 3rd highest total = 100 points
- 4th highest total = 95 points
- 5th highest total = 90 points
- 6th highest total = 85 points
- 7th highest total = 80 points
- 8th highest total = 75 points
- 9th highest total = 70 points
- 10th highest total = 65 points
- 11th highest total = 60 points
- 12th highest total = 55 points
- 13th highest total = 50 points
- 14th highest total = 45 points
- 15th highest total = 40 points
- 16th highest total = 35 points
- 17th highest total = 30 points
- 18th highest total = 25 points
- 19th highest total = 20 points
- 20th highest total = 15 points
- 21th highest total = 10 points
- 22nd highest total = 5 points
- 23rd highest total = 3 points
- 24th highest total = 1 points
Competition results will be scored similarly based on the top 24 finishers, although those point totals will need to be slightly modified as there are ties in surf scoring at the end of each round. Each surfer’s final points total for the giveaway will be a combination of their social media points and their competition points.
The grand prize winner will receive the value of a 2017 Nissan Rogue Sport SL – an approximate retail value of $30,105 (USD) – to be used in the purchase of a new Nissan vehicle. Nissan will use best efforts to honor prize fulfillment at any San Diego Nissan Dealership the winner selects as long as vehicle is delivered on or before December 4, 2017. If prize is not redeemed by winner, ASA and Nissan may, in their sole discretion, select an alternate winner or may choose not to award the grand prize. Fees, taxes, payments, or costs of any kind other than the prize described above are the responsibility of the grand prize winner.
A $5,000 (USD) donation to the Supergirl Pro’s associated charity of the winner’s choice will also be made in the winner’s name!!